Sunday, October 23, 2011

I know I want to be an artist, but where do I go from here?


As I enter the second half of my life, I finally know what I want to be when I grow up.    I want to be a real artist.    I have done artwork my entire life.  I have spent the last 5 years focused largely on acrylic painting and have produced some 2 dozen pieces of artwork that have been on exhibit and posted on Facebook, Artspan and in my home and office.     I have a website, a Facebook page, postcards, business cards and a wonderful support network of friends and family.  

Now how do I go about getting my stuff where the public will see it?      My dream is to have my artwork displayed in restaurants, nightclubs, cafes, bistros, coffee shops, music venues, offices and homes! 


I just read that getting yourself known "out there" requires lots of "back links" - including blog spots, like this one.    Today I am learning how to create a blog!

But what else can an emerging artist do to become recognized in the arena she desires?   How do you get your work in a gallery?      How do you network with other bloggers to get your website link there, too?   


Hello - is there anyone out here?    Is this thing on?   haha!  

Check out my website:    www.marthabennett.net !


3 comments:

  1. First of all, put more info about yourself on this blog - when I view "your complete profile" there's no real info. Second, check to see if there's a local arts council that you can join as a volunteer and an exhibiting artist. Also see if there's a peer group you can join or start one if not - this will not only help you with networking but give you support and critiques. And most important, just get in the studio and do the work, build a body of work, so that when opportunity arises you have art ready, maybe even carry photos of your best or most representative work with you. Chat up managers or owners of places you see artwork being displayed to find out if you too can display there.

    Enough to get you started? ;-)There's much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestions! This is my first blog ever, so I am in uncharted territory. I will add information to my profile for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another question - how do you get people to read your blog after they have already read the first post??

    ReplyDelete